RIDGID OCTANE BATTERY COMPATIBILITY:
The Ridgid brand name was first introduced in the early 1980’s when they were one of the few companies producing high quality batteries with a low cost. Today, Ridgid manufactures all kinds of batteries including Lithium Ion (Li-ion), Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Lead Acid (Pb). They are very popular among electric vehicle (EV) enthusiasts because of their low price and high energy density.
All types of batteries have different characteristics such as voltage, discharge rate, life span, weight and many other things. Some batteries perform better than others in certain applications. For example lead acid batteries tend to work well in vehicles but not so good for portable electronics like cameras or cell phones.
Lithium ion batteries are generally considered to be the best choice for most applications.
There are two main types of lithium ion batteries – Li-ion and NiMH. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. The main difference between them is how fast they charge up after being discharged.
When charging, Li-ions take longer than NiMH cells which makes them unsuitable for some uses where rapid recharging is needed such as in cars or boats. They also don’t work as well in cold temperatures.
Lithium-ion batteries are lighter than other types of batteries. They also produce more energy for the size and weight. As mentioned earlier, they don’t like cold so they do not work very well in environments where the temperature drops below freezing or super hot where it could catch fire.
The self-discharge rate is quite low compared to other types of cells and this is an advantage for storage purposes.
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries are good for low drain devices such as remote controls and some models of digital cameras. They can be safely recharged when most of the power has been used up but a complete discharge should be avoided. They don’t work well in devices that require a fast discharge such as an electric drill or a flashlight.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Characterization and Evaluation of Cordless Nailer Performance for Liquid and Gaseous Fuels (M Carioscio – 2018 – epublications.marquette.edu)
- Recruitment for excellence–The German path for research university (W Ressel – 17. Internationales Stuttgarter Symposium: Automobil …, 2017 – books.google.com)
- Piezoelectric device and circuitry (GJ Pond, J Baeten, MW Allen – US Patent 9,700,382, 2017 – Google Patents)
- Arrangements for inhibiting intrusion into battery pack electrical components (JP Elfering, CR Schulz, RB Jipp, S Sheeks… – US Patent App. 16 …, 2020 – Google Patents)
- Socio-Economic Analysis (SEA) in authorisation and restriction under REACH: Assessment of abatement costs of chemicals–ex ante and ex post (A Greßmann, B Djordjević, B Fischer, R Joas… – 2014 – bmu.de)