Milwaukee Fuel Station
Milwaukee Fuel Station is one of the largest fuel stations in America. They are located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and they provide gasoline, diesel, kerosene and propane at their gas pumps. The company was founded in 1879 by Henry A. Ford (1863–1947). In 1909 it changed its name to the American Petroleum Company (APC) which became part of Standard Oil Co.
of New Jersey in 1911. In 1918, the company merged with the Du Pont Chemical Company to become Mobil Oil Corporation (MOC). MOC’s main business activities include refining, marketing and distribution of petroleum products.
The Milwaukee Fuel Station is one of the largest fuel suppliers in USA. There are two types of fuel available at these stations: gasoline and diesel fuel. Gasoline is used primarily for personal transportation vehicles, while diesel fuel is used mainly for trucks and buses.
Milwaukee Fuel Station has been operating since 1919 and they have a total of 6,000 fuel dispensers spread across the city. The stations are equipped with pumps capable of dispensing up to 200 gallons per minute of either gasoline or diesel fuel. In addition to dispensing fuels, the stations also sell various other items such as soft drinks, snacks and bottled water.
MILWAUKEE FUEL CARRY-ON 1800W POWER SUPPLY INVERTER
Fuel cells are an important part of the MX FC line of power tools. These cells are high-performance batteries that are capable of producing electricity for longer periods of time without being recharged or refueled. The fuel cell can be refueled in the same way that a car is refueled. The fuel cell uses hydrogen gas and the process generates only water and heat. Fuel cells are a clean source of energy, which produce no harmful by-products.
The fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electrical energy. This type of cell receives a fuel or fuel-like substance and passes it through a proton exchange membrane, which separates the electrons and protons of the fuel. This results in a flow of electrons that can be used to generate electricity. Fuel cells are different from batteries because fuel cells create electricity directly, instead of storing it first and then producing it later.
Fuel cells come in various sizes and power outputs. The smallest ones are about the size of a watch or a large keyboard battery. Larger ones can be as big as a car engine or even bigger. Fuel cells can also be made to output varying amounts of voltage and amperage. The fuel cell can be thought of as an extreme version of a rechargeable battery.
Batteries are filled with energy, which is then depleted as the battery produces power. Fuel cells are also filled with energy, but the fuel (such as hydrogen) is an endless supply and can keep the fuel cell running for long periods of time without being refueled.
Fuel cells produce quiet and efficient power, but are very expensive. They are frequently used in space missions, but their high cost prohibits them from being used in common household appliances.
The company was founded in 1916 by Byron G. Benson (1881-1940) to manufacture and market his recently invented fuel cell. The fuel cell could be attached to a car allowing it to run without the use of gasoline or alternative fuel. General Chemical Company’s first factory was located in Detroit, Michigan and produced 800 cells per day.
In 1917, Byron’s younger brother Elbert B. Benson (1887-1933) was hired as a factory supervisor. In the same year, Elmer J. McCurdy was hired as a sales agent. McCurdy’s efforts in marketing fuel cells increased annual sales from $500,000 to $1,000,000.
In 1919, Byron Benson opened an office in New York City and started selling fuel cells across the nation and in Canada.
By 1920, Byron had amassed a personal fortune of $6,000,000 and the General Chemical Company had become one of the largest producers of fuel cells in the world. The company’s success prompted Byron to move the company from Jackson to a more central location in Michigan. Byron chose the small town of Muskegon, Michigan.
Construction on the new factory began in 1921 and was completed in 1922 at a cost of $600,000. A controlling interest in Muskegon Light & Power Company was purchased providing the necessary electrical power. The factory covered 15 acres of land and had a capacity to produce over 2,000 cells per day. In addition to its factory buildings, a 54-room luxury hotel was built for visiting sales staff.
Byron’s success continued even after his death in April of (1940) at his winter residence in Teaneck, New Jersey. Elbert assumed control of the company and in the company’s 50th anniversary in 1966, annual sales had reached $64 million.
In 1970, Elmer McCurdy died and Elbert’s son Benson II took control of General Chemical Company. The company continued to manufacture fuel cells but began to suffer as foreign competition undercut its prices. The last fuel cell was produced on December 31, 1988. In April of 1989, Benson Benson filed a petition to put General Chemical Company into receivership.
In October of 1991, C.E. Unterberg, Towbin Group, a New York investment bank, completed the acquisition of General Chemical Company for $622,000 and formed a new company called Fuel Cell Systems Incorporated. In November of 1994, Fuel Cell Systems laid off all 74 employees at its Muskegon facility and moved its headquarters to Charlotte, North Carolina. In February of 1996, Fuel Cell Systems closed its Muskegon factory and ceased operations altogether.
In March of 2001, the abandoned General Chemical Company factory was destroyed in a fire.
Continue reading about General Chemical Company’s role in the PBB disaster by clicking here.
Continue reading about General Chemical Company’s role in the PCB disaster by clicking here.
Muskegon Chronicle November 5, 1991; February 5, 1996; March 26, 2001.
Muskegon County Chronicle April 18, 1966.
Muskegon County Gazette April 18, 1966.
New York Times May 6, 1940; April 4, 1966.
Pike, David R. “Muskegon: From Frontier Station to World Port,” (Muskegon: Muskegon Public Museum, 1979).
Walkowitz, Abraham. “Mr. Muskegon: The Story of Hiram M. Gray,” (Muskegon: Muskegon Historical Society, 1976).
On November 11, 2001 the Muskegon County Chronicle ran a story about this website. You can read it by clicking here.
Back to the top of this page.
Back to the main page.
Sources & references used in this article: