Laser Measurement Pen
The laser measurement pen is a device used to measure the distance between two points using a beam of light. It consists of a pair of mirrors which are placed at right angles to each other so that they reflect the same amount of light from one object to another. A small piece of glass or plastic is then inserted into the gap between them and held in place with glue or tape. Light shines through it, creating an image on film or paper.
It is possible to use any type of material as a sensor, but glass works well because it reflects most of the incident light. The mirror surface allows the reflected light to bounce off the surface and hit a detector which measures its intensity. Glass is not only strong enough to withstand high levels of heat, but it also absorbs some wavelengths better than others. This makes it useful for detecting minute differences in temperature such as those produced by sweat or blood flow.
The laser measurement pen is usually made up of several parts: the first part contains a lens and a reflecting surface; the second part holds the sensor; the third part contains the electronics and finally there’s a cover that protects it from damage. The lasers used in these devices vary considerably, but they all produce pulses of light that travel along their paths very quickly. They have been found to work well even when passing through thick walls.
Laser measuring tools are used for a wide range of purposes. They can be used to find the distance between two points, whether it be from one side of a wall to the other or from the top of a building to the ground. It can also be used to measure horizontal and vertical angles. This is accomplished by pointing the laser at a single point and measuring the distance between that and where it hits the next object. By using simple trigonometry the angle of the beam can be calculated.
This can be useful for measuring the height of a wall, or how far away an object is on a horizontal plane such as the ground or the water.
A laser measuring tool can also be used to measure the speed of objects. By pointing it at an object and then timing how long it takes to reach a particular point, its average speed can be easily found. This is the basis of how traffic speed is measured using speed guns. They work by aiming a laser at a car and timing it as it crosses a set distance. The distance it travels divided by the time it takes to travel that distance gives it the average speed.
By pointing the laser away from the target and using the same principles, one can measure the speed of objects coming towards you. This is known as Doppler Laser Radar and is also used by police to identify cars speeding towards them.
Laser measuring tools are also used to calculate the area of a space. This is accomplished by measuring several points and using a mathematical formula based on the concept of pi (3.14…). By calculating the area of all six faces of a space, it is possible to find its total area. A laser can also be used in conjunction with a prism to find the volume of a three-dimensional space.
A laser measuring tool is an addition to a carpenter’s level and a traditional tape measure. It allows for far more accurate and convenient measurements, which is especially important in situations that involve safety or long distances. Even though they are not as portable as a traditional tape measure, their portability is still better than that of a carpenter’s level.
One major advantage of the laser measuring tool over traditional measuring tools is that it never requires new batteries. It also never loses calibration, which is especially useful when taking measurements on high buildings or other far away locations. It can be used in any location, unlike a carpenter’s level, which can be thrown off by the presence of bumps in the ground.
The laser measuring tool is not without its shortcomings. The main one being that it must be held very steadily in order to get an accurate reading, which can be difficult over long distances when it is windy or the user is inexperienced. It is also much more expensive than a traditional measuring tape.
The laser measuring tool is in widespread use by construction workers, surveyors, general contractors and more. It has made their jobs faster, easier and safer. Its uses are numerous and varied. There is very little that this device cannot do when it comes to measuring.
Sources & references used in this article:
- A review of instruments assessing creative and innovative environments within organizations (GE Mathisen, S Einarsen – Creativity Research Journal, 2004 – Taylor & Francis)
- Assessing decisional capacity for clinical research or treatment: a review of instruments (LB Dunn, MA Nowrangi, BW Palmer… – American Journal of …, 2006 – Am Psychiatric Assoc)
- Measurement issues in marital research: A review and critique of contemporary survey instruments (RM Sabatelli – Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1988 – JSTOR)
- Assessing the stressful effects of racism: A review of instrumentation (SO Utsey – Journal of Black Psychology, 1998 – journals.sagepub.com)
- Contemporary instruments for assessing early temperament by questionnaire and in the laboratory (HH Goldsmith, MK Rothbart – Explorations in temperament, 1991 – Springer)
- Measuring quality of life in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery: a systematic review of patient-reported outcomes instruments (AL Pusic, CM Chen, S Cano, A Klassen… – Plastic and …, 2007 – journals.lww.com)
- Physical Self-Description Questionnaire: Psychometric properties and a miiltitrait-meltimethod analysis of relations to existing instruments (HW Marsh, GE Richards… – Journal of Sport …, 1994 – journals.humankinetics.com)