FESTOOL PLANEX EASY DRILLING COIL SANDER REVIEW
The Festool Planex Easy Drill/Sanding Coil Sander is one of the most popular products among DIYers. Its compact size makes it ideal for home projects where space is at a premium. However, its price tag can make some people hesitant to purchase it.
So what’s the deal? Is it worth spending $300+ on a drill press?
Pros: Compact design, good power, small footprint Cons: Price, not great for large jobs
1. Compact Design – This is a big plus for many DIYers.
They don’t have to lug around heavy duty drills or sandpaper when they need them. Plus, this compact design means less room wasted when moving from project to project.
2. Good Power – A compact drill press like this one will run you a pretty penny.
That being said, if you’re going to spend that much money on your tools, you might as well get something better than what’s available right now.
3. Small Footprint – If you live in a cramped apartment or basement, then this may not matter all that much since the footprint won’t be too large anyway.
Still, it’s a nice feature if you have the room for it.
1. Price – While this may not be an issue for some people, others (like myself) might find it a little too expensive.
As I mentioned before, I’m always on the lookout for good deals and I was never able to find a good deal on this tool (or any other Festool product for that matter).
2. Not Great for Large Jobs – That small footprint is actually a disadvantage when it comes to larger projects with big plywood sheets.
The maximum sheet size that this drill press can handle is only 12″ by 15″.
3. No Dust Collection – While the Festool Planex Easy Drill Press isn’t too bad in this regard, it’s still more efficient (and cleaner) to use a dust collector with a regular drill press.
If you don’t own one, you can always build your own for very cheap.
WHY IT WORKS FOR YOU:
This drill press is a great choice if you’re looking for something that’s portable and lightweight. It’s perfect for those quick jobs around the house where you need to drill a few holes in some plywood or sheet metal. If your main concern is convenience, then this might be the right tool for you.
If you’re looking for a more powerful drill press, then I recommend the Bosch 3/8″ Drill Press. While it’s not as compact as the Festool, it’s much more powerful and has more features. If you want something smaller than the Bosch, then I recommend the Ryobi 3/8″ Drill Press.
It’s much cheaper and still a good tool.
FESTOOL DOMINATOR SANDER REVIEW
The Festool 574653 DOMINATOR SANDER is a tool that can be used for both heavy-duty tasks and fine finishing work.
At more than $400, is it worth the price?
Let’s take a look.
Pros: Versatility, powerful motor, strong build quality, dust collection system, backing plate, HEPA filter Cons: Large size, price
1. VERSATILITY – The DOMINATOR SANDER can be used for both heavy-duty tasks and fine finishing work.
2. POWERFUL MOTOR – The sander’s powerful motor (1.
75AMP, 11,000 OPPM) gives you the power you need to get any job done.
3. STRONG BUILD QUALITY – The DOMINATOR is made with metal gearing, an all-metal housing, a metal motor cover, and more for a strong build quality.
4. DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM – The sander’s dust collection system traps over 90% of the dust that would otherwise go back into the air.
5. BACKING PLATE – The sander comes with a durable backing plate that prevents scratches and marks to your workpiece
1. PRICE – At around $405, this is by far the most expensive tool on my list.
While you get a lot of features with this sander, it’s still hard to justify purchasing it if you’re on a budget.
2. SIZE – The sander is pretty large and isn’t ideal for precision work.
It can be difficult to use in tight spaces.
3. HEPA FILTER – Even though the sander has a HEPA filter, the filter has its issues.
The sander has to be fully opened in order to use the filter effectively. There’s also no indicator to let you know when the filter needs to be changed.
WHY IT WORKS FOR YOU:
This sander is a great choice for people who need a tool that can do it all. From heavy-duty tasks like flooring to fine finishing work like furniture, you can get it all done with this one tool. It’s also great if you’re looking for a tool with a strong build quality.
The DOMINATOR won’t break on you easily.
As far as price is concerned, you’ll really have to ask yourself if you need all the extra features that come with this sander. If price is no object, then this is the sander for you.
Sources & references used in this article: