DeWalt Mechanic Tools – Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches Review: What are they?
The dewalt sockets, ratchet sets and wrenches are designed to perform a variety of tasks including but not limited to; fastening, tightening and loosening nuts, bolts or other hardware. They are used in many different types of jobs such as installing new doors, windows and plumbing fixtures.
What do these tools have in common?
They all come with one or more sockets, ratchets and wrenches. They are available in various sizes ranging from small (1/4″) to large (3/8″). There are even some models which include a drill bit. Some of them are made out of metal while others are plastic. All of them can be purchased at most home improvement stores and hardware stores.
How do they differ?
There are several differences between the dewalt sockets, ratchet sets and wrenches. Some of the differences include; material, size range and number of pieces. The most heavy duty ones are made out of metal while the lighter ones are made out of plastic. The more pieces a set has, the more versatile it is.
What are the different types of each?
The types of the tool includes ratchet sockets, impact sockets, deep well sockets, standard sockets, flex sockets, universal sockets, sparkplug sockets, stubby sockets, and socket bits.
How are they used?
They are used by hand or with the use of an extension. Depending on the type that you have, it will either be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise to tighten or loosen the bolt or nut that you are working on.
What is the purpose of each?
The ratchet is a tool used to drive bolts, nuts, screws, and other fasteners. They feature a button that is pressed down to drive the bolt without the user having to continuously grip and turn it. Most ratchets allow the operator to turn the fastener in one direction until it gets tight and then switch to the opposite direction to remove it. The ratchet is also known as a breaker bar.
The impact sockets can be used with an impact gun or an air wrench. These sockets are used to loosen stuck or rusted bolts.
They can also be used on damaged or worn nuts and bolts to tighten them. The impact sockets have a ripple pattern that helps to grip the bolt as the impact wrench turns it.
The deep well sockets are designed to access bolts and nuts located in deep holes. These sockets have extra length so that long bolt heads, nuts, or other hardware can be reached without reducing the amount of leverage you have on the tool.
They are also known as long-length sockets.
The standard sockets have a uniform tapered shape. They are used on the majority of fasteners found in today’s cars, buses, and industries.
Unlike deep well sockets, standard sockets can be used for a large number of jobs.
The flex sockets are designed so that the user can access bolts or nuts in tight spaces. The ratchet on these sockets includes an extension which can be flipped out of the way when not in use.
The universal sockets have a flexible square opening that can fit several different sizes of bolts and nuts. They are often used for motorcycles, small lawnmowers, marine applications, and bicycles.
The sparkplug sockets are designed to tighten or loosen the sparkplugs in a vehicle’s cylinder head. The top is shaped like a hollow cube with a small hole in the middle.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Best Socket Sets: Top 6 of 2020 (Price & Quality) (E Mentor – 2017 – electricianmentor.com)
- 11. A statement specifying the extent of agreement with all terms, conditions, and provisions included in the solicitation. (S List cLS, T provide Tools – imlive.s3.amazonaws.com)
- Drive assembly for a power tool (WA Elger – US Patent 8,505,648, 2013 – Google Patents)
- Power tool having rotary input control (SJ Eshleman, CA Schell, AJ SEMAN, D Puzio… – US Patent …, 2016 – Google Patents)
- Snap-on tools: A victim of its own success (AN Hoffman – 2014 – sk.sagepub.com)
- Indentation vise-wrenches (M LaVallee – US Patent App. 11/381,120, 2007 – Google Patents)
- Tool connector assembly (NC Cantlon – US Patent 10,391,616, 2019 – Google Patents)
- Power tool with a light for illuminating a workpiece (BE Friedman, SP Osborne, EJ Dixon… – US Patent …, 2012 – Google Patents)
- Thread forming using an impact driver (JE Hamm – US Patent App. 14/105,602, 2015 – Google Patents)