DeWalt 20V Max XR SDS Plus Rotary Hammer with Dust Collector Review
The following are some interesting facts about the dewalt 20v sds plus rotary hammer:
1) It is designed to work with all types of household dust collection systems (dust collectors).
The unit comes in three different sizes: 10, 25 or 50 cubic feet.
2) It is capable of extracting up to 3 pounds of dust per hour.
3) The unit uses a powerful motor to rotate at high speed.
This allows it to suck out dust from any type of surface without damaging the material. This makes it ideal for removing dirt and debris from hardwood floors, tile flooring, concrete, brick walls and many other surfaces where grit or sand collects.
4) The unit is equipped with a rotating disc that sucks out dust.
A small nozzle attached to the side of the disc blows out the dust.
5) It has two speeds: slow and fast.
Slow mode extracts less than one pound of dust per minute while fast mode extracts up to five pounds per minute.
6) The unit costs $699 and can be purchased online through Amazon or directly from DeWalt’s website.
7) It comes with a two-year limited warranty.
How to Use the DeWalt 20V Max SDS Plus Rotary Hammer
Operating the tool is very easy; it has only three buttons to switch on-off and to change from low to high speed. The cordless tool is convenient for drilling in hard-to-reach areas where an electric socket is not readily available.
It is also a great tool to use in areas where you would rather not use a corded drill.
The rotary hammer is an ideal tool for drilling holes and driving screws into brick, concrete, stone and hardwood. It operates by forcing a chisel to pierce through any material and then breaking through by turning the tip at high speed.
The user holds the drill with one hand while supporting the material being drilled with the other hand.
If you are planning to work with the tool for a long time, it is best to wear protective gloves and goggles to avoid wearing out your hands and eyes. If you want to prevent back injury, then wear a harness or hold the drill firmly against your body when drilling or driving screws into hard materials.
The cordless tool is relatively lightweight at 5.75 lbs., so it is fairly easy to operate without requiring much physical effort.
The tool is especially well-balanced for a better grip and more precise handling.
How to Use the DeWalt 20V Max SDS Plus Rotary Hammer with Dust Extractor
Once you have all of the materials that you need, follow these steps to assemble them into the rotary hammer:
1) Remove all of the parts from the packaging and place them on a flat surface in front of you.
2) Attach the chisel.
The chisel is located at the front of the tool. It has a hexagonal opening on one end and an opening for a hexagonal screwdriver on the other end.
The correct size screwdriver to use is included in the packaging.
3) The chisel is only compatible with specific models of the rotary hammer, so be sure to check if the model you have matches the one that comes with your tool.
4) Press the hexagonal opening of the chisel into the hexagonal hole at the front of the tool and twist it clockwise to secure it.
5) Attach the dust extractor.
The dust extractor is located at the front of the tool. It has a hose attachment on one end and three small prongs on the other end.
6) The hose attachment is located directly under the power button on the top of the tool.
Align the three small prongs to the three holes just above the power button and press down firmly to secure it in place.
7) The dust extractor is only compatible with specific models of the rotary hammer, so be sure to check if the model you have matches the one that comes with your tool.
8) Press the power button to turn on the tool.
9) Check if the green light comes on to show that the battery is fully charged.
If it does not, then charge the battery for at least 18 hours before attempting to use it.
10) Press the speed selector button to turn on the drill and begin drilling. You can drill holes in materials such as wood, drywall, masonry and steel.
11) Release the pressure on the trigger to stop the drill.
12) Turn off the tool once you have finished drilling or driving screws into the materials you want to work on.
13) Press the hexagonal opening of the chisel against a solid surface and turn it counterclockwise to remove it from the tool.
14) Attach the dust extractor to a power source to clean out any dust that may have collected inside it while you were working.
Things to Consider When Purchasing
There are several important factors to consider when purchasing a rotary hammer, so be sure to give them all proper thought to make the best decision.
Types of Materials You Want to Work With
The first thing you should think about is the types of materials you want to work with. While most rotary hammers can drill holes in wood, drywall and masonry, only some can also drill holes in steel.
Be sure to find out if the rotary hammer you want can drill holes in steel as well.
Types of Attachments
Another thing to consider is whether or not you want a rotary hammer that comes with a dust extractor. Dust extractors help prevent dust from flying everywhere when drilling, which makes it much easier for you to see what you’re doing while working and keeps the area surrounding your workspace much cleaner.
However, dust extractors tend to be less powerful than regular rotary hammers so keep that in mind if strength is something you prioritize.
Of course, your budget is also a very important factor. As with most power tools, rotary hammers can range in price quite a bit depending on the brand name, features and power output so be sure to choose one that fits into your budget.
Best Rotary Hammer Reviews
There are quite a few different rotary hammers available on the market today. We’ve chosen five of the best options currently available to help you choose which one is right for you.
1. DEWALT Bare-Tool DCD985B 20V MAX XR Lithium Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2 in.
Hex Shank Rotary Hammer Drill
This cordless rotary hammer can deliver up to 57% more runtime than other brands while remaining lightweight and balanced so you can work longer and more efficiently. It uses a brushless motor which improves the durability and lifespan of the tool while also improving its performance.
It has an integrated LED light near the chuck that provides better visibility when working in dark areas. It also features an electronic speed control which allows you to switch between drilling and hammering with the simple push of a button.
Integrated LED lights for better visibility
Brushless motor improves performance and lifespan
Easily switch between drilling and hammering with the push of a button
Not capable of drilling holes in steel
2. MAKITA XRH01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Rotary Hammer
This cordless rotary hammer features two speeds and an adjustable side handle for greater comfort and control. Its double Insulated system reduces the loss of power while you work and its integrated LED light provides better visibility in dark working areas.
This rotary hammer can be used for a variety of different jobs and even comes with several accessories including drill bits, sanding bands, a metal cutting blade, a wood carving bit and more.
Features two speeds and an adjustable side handle
Comes with several different attachments and accessories
Double-Insulated technology provides longer lasting power
May not be as powerful as other models
3. MAKITA XPH01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Wet/Dry Rotary Hammer
This cordless rotary hammer can be used to drill holes in wood, metal and masonry with equal ease and features a water-resistant design that allows you to use it in wet locations. It runs on an 18-volt LXT lithium-ion battery which provides improved performance and longer run time when compared to older model batteries.
This rotary hammer includes several different accessories, including a drilling and driving bit, a wood carving blade, an adapter for drilling metal and a grinding stone. It also has an LED light which provides better visibility in dark work areas.
Features a water-resistant design
Runs on the latest 18-volt LXT lithium-ion battery
Comes with several different attachments and accessories
4. Milwaukee 028-22CT M18 Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 in.
This cordless rotary hammer drill has a powerful motor with variable speeds to match the drilling or hammering application. It also includes several different clutch settings to prevent stripping of screws and has a built-in LED light for working in dark locations.
The two lithium-ion batteries included with this rotary hammer provide improved performance and longer run times when compared to older battery technology. It also features a belt hook and an onboard clip for easy storage.
Integrated LED light for working in dark locations
Includes a durable carrying case
Batteries and chargers not included
5. DEWALT DCD775B 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 1/2 in.
Compact Drill Driver
This cordless drill can be used to perform a wide range of tasks around the house or on the job site. It has a powerful, high-performance motor which provides the necessary power for working with wood, metal and masonry and includes several different speed settings for precision drilling and driving control.
The brushless motor improves the tool’s lifespan and also improves its performance and runtime when compared to similar tools that use traditional brushed motors. The two 20-volt batteries included with this tool purchase allow the user to work continuously for longer periods of time between recharges.
Run time is improved and tool lifespan is increased thanks to the brushless motor technology
This cordless drill uses the latest lithium-ion battery technology
Can be used for a wide range of drilling, fastening and driving applications
6. MAKITA TD040DSE (Bare-Tool) 20-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 4-1/2 in.
This cordless angle drill can be used for a wide range of drilling and fastening applications around the house, on the job site or in a workshop. It has an efficient design which provides more power in a smaller tool for improved control and handling.
Sources & references used in this article: